AstroSafari UK

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Chat  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

coolant leak

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Discussion Forums] >> Van Maintenance Forums >> Cooling/Heating System >> coolant leak Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
coolant leak - 29/12/2017 19:37:15   
graham8

Score: 0
hi I broke down in Italy Nov 17, had a new water pump fitted I got home but it did not run right in my opinion plus I have been losing coolant each week . I had a look today and have found a leak on the engine where two small metal pipes go into the front of the block just under the pump and bottom hose goes into the block . The leak is really bad now just running out I have looked through my books and cannot identify the hoses . I take it they are heater hoses but how do I stop the leak . Any help would be gratefully received Graham
Post #: 1
RE: coolant leak - 1/1/2018 12:30:14   
chevydancer

Score: 39
Hi Graham,
I recently had a leak from the inlet manifold gasket which is above the water pump.
Can you post some pictures, I am not sure where you mean?
The bottom hose connects to the water pump, the water pump also has two small pipes connected to the top of it; these go to the heater valve on the passenger side wing. Is it these that are leaking, there are several valve types depending on whether you have a rear auxiliary heater or not.
I cannot think of any water pipes that are below the water pump. My heater hoses to the rear heater go over the top of the engine.
I had a leak from the heater valve once, it split in two. This is a pic of my heater valve before I fitted it.

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

Phil 'n' Sharon

1996 Astro - American Road Ultra

(in reply to graham8)
Post #: 2
RE: coolant leak - 5/1/2018 16:27:23   
orange

Score: 63
If your van is a 91 as stated in your member details it will have a water pump like the photo below bolted on to the front of the block, the bottom hose goes from it direct to the radiator there is normally a heater bypass hose on the top but the main coolant flow is via the two flanges either side of it with bolt holes. there should be 2 x seals as shown in the photo between the pump and block or it will leak, did whoever changed the pump fit new seals as the old ones are normally destroyed when you pull off the old pump. As mentioned in the reply above I can't think of any other metal hoses around the pump.

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by orange -- 5/1/2018 16:28:51 >

(in reply to graham8)
Post #: 3
RE: coolant leak - 4/6/2018 21:29:41   
tricky1962

Hi Chevy

My rear heater control valve looks like yours and has sprung a leak. Do you have any tips for changing it apart from load up on plasters for the skinned knuckles?

Cheers

(in reply to orange)
Post #: 4
RE: coolant leak - 6/6/2018 9:12:58   
chevydancer

Score: 39
Not really, it was a few years ago now, but you need small hands as the space is tight. I didn't need any plasters as I recall. Just be careful with the valve if you replace it as they are only plastic and as I said my previous one split in half and I couldn't glue it back together so bought a new one.

Phil 'n' Sharon

1996 Astro - American Road Ultra

(in reply to tricky1962)
Post #: 5
RE: coolant leak - 6/6/2018 18:13:21   
tricky1962

Cheers

(in reply to chevydancer)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Discussion Forums] >> Van Maintenance Forums >> Cooling/Heating System >> coolant leak Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts