AstroSafari UK

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Chat  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

steering shaft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Discussion Forums] >> Van Maintenance Forums >> Drivetrain/Transmission >> steering shaft Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
steering shaft - 26/6/2014 22:05:54   
graham8

Score: 0
Hello can any body help ,although i am shown as a newby I have been with you for a couple of years now just lost my login details .I forgot my name must be my age . I need a replacement steering shaft for my gmc safari 91 I fitted a new glass fibre front and it kept hit kerbs etc so I got 2inch doughnuts to lift the front from summit racing the lift went good untill I tried to steer and found the rack had popped apart ,now summit do not do the extended shaft ,overland have stopped because GMC have stopped making the part .I have been told a shaft from a early 2wd will be long enough cannot get one from any one .I have tried US Autos ,Partsorama you name it ,Wayne on ebay (Liverpool) does not ring back spoke to him he said he would look ! .Overland said they would tell me how to do a D I Y job on it but now will not tell me prob health and safety so at the moment it looks good but I cannot use it ,I lifted the back by putting Landrover front suspension springs inboard on the axle Regards Graham
Post #: 1
RE: steering shaft - 27/6/2014 9:04:10   
djmadwon

Score: 46
When you say steering shaft, do you mean the drag link?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steering-Drag-Link-ACDELCO-ADVANTAGE-46B0107A-/111360084937?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AAstro&hash=item19ed940bc9

...if not, which bit do you need (see pic)

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

www.madwon.com

(in reply to graham8)
Post #: 2
RE: steering shaft - 27/6/2014 10:04:29   
graham8

Hi thanks for reply it is none of this it is the oval shaped shaft coming out of the top of the steering box .One part fits over the splined rod the other fits inside of this and has a rubber shock joint on it then the knuckle joint which clamps on to the coulum going through the dash board to the steering wheel will try to post a pic of it later when I get to work

(in reply to djmadwon)
Post #: 3
RE: steering shaft - 27/6/2014 10:45:48   
orange

Score: 63
If you can identify the part in one of the diagrams I may be able to find a part number which may help your search.

Thumbnail Image

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (2)

(in reply to graham8)
Post #: 4
RE: steering shaft - 27/6/2014 11:30:38   
graham8

the part is no. 59 and 42 and as far as i know that these are now obselete unless you know of anyone? The shaft in the pictures are of my 1991 awd Safari.I need one from or for a 2 wheel drive as these are longer. Year does not seem to matter but apparently the older the model the longer the shaft is.Please see attached pics.

Thumbnail Image

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (2)

(in reply to orange)
Post #: 5
RE: steering shaft - 27/6/2014 11:43:38   
graham8

Also i am in contact with Gerald from Overland in America and he has posted me this......
"Hello Graham,
I am presently out of stock on this item. They are back ordered from GM and I don't know when I will receive them if I receive them. My last order was declined by the supplier after a five week wait. I will refund you your money in the mean time. What exactly do you need the steering shaft for? Do you have a 1995 or older van that you want to put a body spacer kit on or are you doing a lift that requires the added expansion. In either case if you can locate a used part from a wrecker you can save yourself a lot of money. Any 1996-2005 Astro or Safari van will have a longer shaft, the 2wd van having the longest. The AWD shaft is about an inch and a quarter shorter. If you are using this for an older van as described earlier it will need to be modified to fit. It can be done with a hacksaw so it's not difficult. I can send you the instruction on how to do it "

Gerald

In response to his email I have asked him to send me the instruction mentioned in the email however i have yet to get a response.

(in reply to graham8)
Post #: 6
RE: steering shaft - 27/6/2014 15:35:06   
orange

If you mean parts 49 & 52 , then yes as you have found they are obsolete, assuming it's a tilt 2wd column there are a couple of part numbers which are shown as obsolete 07843901 if you have LM1 (N33) in your rpo codes (option codes normally on a sticker) and part no. 26024520 for rpo codesLM1(MD8,N33)
The problem is if you do a google search although some places are still saying it's in stock you can't be sure of the length. Unfortunately your best bet looks like it's going to be from a scrap van, If you have any questions for Wayne in Liverpool you need to contact member danny1984 who i believe works for him will respond, sort out and send parts on Wayne's behalf.

(in reply to graham8)
Post #: 7
RE: steering shaft - 27/6/2014 20:07:11   
graham8

I SPOKE TO WAYNE TODAY AND HE AGREED I HAD BEEN WAITING A LONG TIME SO IT IS MONDAY AGAIN TO TALK TO HIM AS HE IS GETTING READY FOR A SHOW UP THERE .mY VAN IS AN AWD XLT THAT IS WHY I NEED A LONGER SHAFT ACCORDING TO MOST PEOPLE I HAVE TALKED TO . I HAVE A FRIEND WHO IS AN EX AERO ENGINEER SO I AM TAKING IT TO HIM TO SEE IF HE CAN MAKE THE PART NEEDED ,ONLY THING IS I CANNOT SEE HOW IT COMES APART,STILL NOTHING VENTURED NOTHING GAINED i WILL TALK TO DANNY THANKS GRAHAM

(in reply to orange)
Post #: 8
RE: steering shaft - 6/8/2014 19:01:55   
graham8

Hello ,in the end Gerald from OVERLAND went to a scrappy got one rejigged it and sent it to me 150 dollars fits and works ,now the back aqxle has parted company need axle plates for awd 1991 anybody breaking a van

(in reply to graham8)
Post #: 9
RE: steering shaft - 6/8/2014 23:29:13   
Astroshepawd

Score: 16
I guess I was on my hols when then was all posted! Passed me by sorry!
Initially you could have just cranked up the torsion bars to get you the clearance you desired that would have negated the use of the lift blocks and subsequently the requirement of the extended steering shaft.
Having said that though winding up old style torsion bars would probably not be that ideal so maybe you did the best.
So guessing that the front end of the van was/is now sky high (like mine) to make it look right you have done some rear leaf spring mod? Which has gone a bit 'Pete Tong'. I sold my standard steel rear leaf springs complete with all the bracketry to Pete of 'Petesdayvans' (a member here) give him a shout, I'm sure he will be able to help. He also has/had a pair of new style torsion bars which if you got them you could resort back to what I said in the second paragraph.
But if you like the lifted 'look', welcome to the world of higher ups! I'll grant you status of being the third in the UK. Very much doubt the second is still around now though, looking very scruffy it had a transit diesel in it.

Shep

(in reply to graham8)
Post #: 10
RE: steering shaft - 1/3/2017 16:44:50   
graham8

Thanks I did not realise I had been asleep that long , truthfully I had a lung embolism so was out of sorts for sometime , I had a knuckle joint made over the water ,plus my mod to the rears is working fine . I put a pair of landrover front coil springs inboard on the axle .modified the the fitting plates that come with evering thing is good with that I have put 16 inch wheels on so that finishes that , I now have real problems with the TBI . I had weeks of stop go with the van good one week then a breakdown .pushed and pulled every thing then it would fire and work for another few days . so I put a new coil in etc then a new fuel pump then took the TBI apart and found one injector very poor . I then took the fuel regulater apart and the little locking tag fell of when I hit it with a hammer . I put in new spring and diaphram but neither injector will fire now . When I spray a little petrol the engine fires and runs So i guess I need a piece complete . If you can help I would appreciate it She has to go to Corfu in April and pushing it is just top much ,Sorry about the long story Regards graham

(in reply to Astroshepawd)
Post #: 11
RE: steering shaft - 1/3/2017 17:14:00   
orange

If your van is a 91 as mentioned in your profile you can get a complete throttle body repair kit from RockAuto for about £26 + shipping it sounds like you are confident stripping this down. A new unit is a bit expensive at around £300 you may be able to get hold of a used one cheaper, as your original fault was intermittent I suppose the problem you have is you don't know if the original fault still exists and you may have caused another working on the throttle body, As the van fires when you spray fuel directly in the TB you are probably in the right area have you checked to see if are the injectors getting pulses needed to operate them?

(in reply to graham8)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Discussion Forums] >> Van Maintenance Forums >> Drivetrain/Transmission >> steering shaft Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts