AstroSafari UK

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Chat  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

steering box

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Discussion Forums] >> Van Maintenance Forums >> Drivetrain/Transmission >> steering box Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
steering box - 10/12/2011 19:44:38   
joeastromatt

Score: 38
hi guys i know ive been away awhile personal problems ...need help with a steering problem MOT issue

under braking ive had a pull to the right been like that a while now MOT pulled up right side tyre inner edge excessive wear MOT mech said possible stering box cause pull n tyre wear

is it possible to adjust steering box?
would this cause above problem ?

sorry to seem ive been away ages n just need answers now

hope to be back soon
cheers guys n merry xmas all if i cant get back again soon

"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by candlelight."
- George Gobel
Post #: 1
RE: steering box - 10/12/2011 22:02:38   
andyp

Score: 53
I'll have to think about the possible correlation between braking, tyre wear and the steering box for a minute but generally a steering box fault will upset both sides.

(in reply to joeastromatt)
Post #: 2
RE: steering box - 11/12/2011 20:29:29   
vortec

Score: 20
under inflated tyre / tracking out?

(in reply to andyp)
Post #: 3
RE: steering box - 12/12/2011 9:53:45   
englishastro

Score: 44
Clive, braking is more than likely a sticking caliper on the left hand side. tyre wear will be tracking is out. Steering problems are usually during all driving conditions.

One Day I'll Grow Up

(in reply to vortec)
Post #: 4
RE: steering box - 12/12/2011 10:25:41   
andyp

Score: 53
I'm yet to work out how your MOT test came up with play in the steering box causing the brakes to pull to one side.

(in reply to englishastro)
Post #: 5
RE: steering box - 12/12/2011 11:00:02   
djmadwon

Score: 46
Hi Clive, hope you're okay.

It may be worth checking the upper ball-joint on the offending side if the tyre wear is right on the shoulder (See pic). You'll need to check this with a bar as there's a lot of weight/pressure on that joint. A visual check at the back of the joint is advisable too.

If there is more widespread wear across the edge then your tracking or track rod ball joints or swing arm bushes may be worth investigating.

I believe you are able to adjust the steering box itself to tighten or loosen the steering, but this will be an unlikely cause of the uneven wear.

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

www.madwon.com

(in reply to andyp)
Post #: 6
RE: steering box - 12/12/2011 11:40:08   
englishastro

Score: 44
You can adjust steering boxes but it can be a bit involved to do correctly. Adjusting the steering box only adjust's the play in the box and travel on the steering wheelnot on any of the lower steering joints, these can be done indidually on each steering link arm.

One Day I'll Grow Up

(in reply to djmadwon)
Post #: 7
RE: steering box - 12/12/2011 15:02:58   
orange

Score: 63
I have to agree with Andyp, I can't see how the steering box can cause the  problem you mention. If the steering box wears the normal symptom is excessive play causing you to have to keep moving the wheel left/right to travel in a straight line.
The steering box is power assisted and I remember reading somewhere that sometimes fluid pressure in the box can become unbalanced and cause the steering to be biased more one way than the other. I would think you could prove that by jacking the front of the van up so both front wheels are off the ground, run the engine and see if the steering centers ok or tends to drift to one side. You don't want to adjust the steering box unless really necessary as that can unbalance it.
The MOT test should have shown up any wear problems with the ball joints, brakes and possibly idler arms but tracking isn't part of the test so you could get that properly checked.

(in reply to joeastromatt)
Post #: 8
RE: steering box - 12/12/2011 16:00:19   
yankee doodle

Score: 36
Nobody's mentioned it, but as an honourary 'old bugger', I will....

A worn steering box would behave in a similar fashion to worn kingpin bushes in the old days. You would have to juggle the steering wheel to keep the car going straight. It wouldn't affect just one side.

John

Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it,
you've got to start young.

(in reply to orange)
Post #: 9
RE: steering box - 13/12/2011 14:27:54   
bigal

Score: 38
check all your ball joints on that side ill have a £10 WITH YA ITS 1 OF THEM try the top and btm ball joint 1st

if it ay bostid dow fix it

(in reply to yankee doodle)
Post #: 10
RE: steering box - 14/12/2011 14:58:34   
Pheasant Plucker

Score: 36
Also worth remembering the difference between driving on the right & the left. Front suspension & steering alignment is set up so that the van naturally steers to the left (a bit) when driving on a road cambered to the right. (as in the USA)
Our roads are cambered to the left (of course) so the steering is always slightly out of line, so it should be worth a thorough alignment check, caster, camber & toe-in/out.
The natural inclination of the van is to drift to the left, so in the UK you're always trying to counteract the (slight) pull to the left.
Worth a check, any good alignment technician should be able to sort it out.
George

Don't ask me to explain why I'm a vanner. Those who know don't need to. Those who don't won't understand.

(in reply to bigal)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Discussion Forums] >> Van Maintenance Forums >> Drivetrain/Transmission >> steering box Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts