AstroSafari UK

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Chat  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Axle casing

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Discussion Forums] >> Van Maintenance Forums >> Drivetrain/Transmission >> Axle casing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axle casing - 31/10/2011 9:32:15   
chippyrob

Score: 0
Hi, once again I'm asking for help/advice ........ I've got a leak coming from the nearside diff box on my AWD Safari ....... I've had a look underneath and there appears to be a gap where you can see the drive shaft ....... Is this normal ? ..... Having spoke to a mechanic he's told me I'm going to need a whole new axle casing, which having spent a small fortune on sorting the hydraulic pump etc fills me with fear .......Any advice and/or photos of this area would be gratefully received ......

Thanks

Rob
Post #: 1
RE: Axle casing - 31/10/2011 13:33:07   
Astroshepawd

Score: 16
Is it possible for you to post up some pics?
I can post pics of the assembly if required.
Has the mechanic actually looked at it? Did he say why it needed a complete new casing? Cracked/broken/split?

Shep

(in reply to chippyrob)
Post #: 2
RE: Axle casing - 1/11/2011 7:46:42   
chippyrob

Score: 0
I'm going to stick it on ramps today so that I can take a few shots ...... Personally I think that the mechanic was talking out of his ass, there seemed to no jagged edges, cracks,splits etc the last time I looked, but he has got me worried ....... Thing is it drives fine, moves through the gears as smoothly as before, no grinding noises ,it's just when the engine warms up oil is sprayed onto it and when it's parked on a steep hill oil runs out of the diff ...... And thanks for your response a few images would be great .......

(in reply to Astroshepawd)
Post #: 3
RE: Axle casing - 1/11/2011 10:11:20   
Astroshepawd

Score: 16
Couple of pics of my nearside?
One from below the other above, just check that the oil is actually coming from the diff and not from above, there are oil pipes in the vicinity above which could be leaking down giving the impression of a leaking diff. Also check the inner drive boot for a hole/split (not oil I know, but the cv grease does liquify and can spray about).

Thumbnail Image

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (2)

(in reply to chippyrob)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Discussion Forums] >> Van Maintenance Forums >> Drivetrain/Transmission >> Axle casing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts