AstroSafari UK

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Chat  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Thinking of changing the transmission fluid?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Discussion Forums] >> Van Maintenance Forums >> Drivetrain/Transmission >> RE: Thinking of changing the transmission fluid? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Thinking of changing the transmission fluid? - 16/3/2012 16:14:48   
pepi

Score: 36
Going to change the transmission fluid myself soon, but the last time I did it, I thought that it was crazy that there isn't a drain plug on the oil pan, used the method as outlined here but still managed to get tranny oil everywhere. So I thought I might take the opportunity to put my own drain plug in this time. Has anyone else done it? I'm guessing that one of the back corners of the pan would be the best place to situate it, what do you think?

< Message edited by pepi -- 16/3/2012 16:19:42 >

Drive safely.... John

96 Astro... Splendor conversion

(in reply to orange)
Post #: 21
RE: Thinking of changing the transmission fluid? - 16/3/2012 16:32:13   
orange

Score: 63
You can buy an aftermarket transmission pan with a drain plug in it if you don't fancy drilling yours, why they never put one in only the GM designers must know. Another method you can try which I used when i did mine is to insert a long thin plastic tube down the transmission filler/dipstick hole and using a big syringe suck as much fluid out as you can, its quite a slow boring job but makes it much cleaner (and lighter) when you do remove the pan.

(in reply to pepi)
Post #: 22
RE: Thinking of changing the transmission fluid? - 16/3/2012 17:01:36   
pepi

Score: 36
quote:

ORIGINAL: orange

You can buy an aftermarket transmission pan with a drain plug in it if you don't fancy drilling yours, why they never put one in only the GM designers must know. Another method you can try which I used when i did mine is to insert a long thin plastic tube down the transmission filler/dipstick hole and using a big syringe suck as much fluid out as you can, its quite a slow boring job but makes it much cleaner (and lighter) when you do remove the pan.

yes, my thoughts exactly

Drive safely.... John

96 Astro... Splendor conversion

(in reply to orange)
Post #: 23
RE: Thinking of changing the transmission fluid? - 19/11/2012 13:11:19   
Brendan

Score: 1
Thats a brilliant post matey and i will use it when the time comes with mine.

I think with a 2 manned jobby you could also release the sump pan with the oil inside it carefully and maybe refil the sump pan and put it back up that way with 2 sets of hands making a lighter job and the correct amount of fluid is already in the sump pan.

Just a thought and one i can use as i have an helper ( Fitter) to hand when i use the workshop at work.

He is one of those off roaders in his Jeep Cherokee and is always taking it apart at weekends.

Regards, brendan

(in reply to andyp)
Post #: 24
RE: Thinking of changing the transmission fluid? - 20/11/2012 17:11:56   
Graymond

Score: 0
Great guide many thanks

(in reply to orange)
Post #: 25
RE: Thinking of changing the transmission fluid? - 19/10/2013 17:58:48   
fulhamastro93

a great quide this one today i got the car up on ramps and set about said task ,,a complete waste of time as filter supplied didn,t fit ! on comparing the two side by side very simular but i could eye up that thepipe/tube bit you push into the whole was 1 or 2 mm wider so didnt want to force it in so back on with old filter which is a shame as i can see flecks of metal in there.still i had a go and its not difficult i did spill fluid but as it had been raining it was an easy clean up(someone had dumped a sofa, the cusion soaked it up ). anyway now ive done it once next time will be a breeze! btw part says made in china?!also i couldn,t get old seal out is there a tip here? i tryed a flat head on it but didn,t want to cause damage but when i reattempt this ill need to know!

(in reply to Graymond)
Post #: 26
RE: Thinking of changing the transmission fluid? - 20/10/2013 18:36:24   
orange

Score: 63
quote:

i couldn,t get old seal out is there a tip here?

There seems to be two different types of seal used on these, one is an "o" ring which is the type mentioned in the Haynes/Chilton repair manual. They suggest you just reach in the hole with your finger and pull it down, yea right. When i changed my filter I almost broke my fingers trying to pull this elusive o ring down before I discovered the seal in mine was a metal and plastic type pushed up inside the transmission filter pipe hole. It is quite hard to remove as you have found, you need something to push through its hole that will then grip the top lip so you can ease it down but as you have said take care not to damage the transmission surface. I made something out of an old flat blade screwdriver and eased one side then the other until enough was sticking out the hole to grip with pliers, it took quite a while and after you start there is no going back as you will have distorted the seal so be prepared to keep at it.

(in reply to fulhamastro93)
Post #: 27
RE: Thinking of changing the transmission fluid? - 13/7/2014 11:31:50   
Banjo

I checked the transmission oil level on my Astro today. it's looks rather dark so am going to change the oil/filter. Any recommendations please on oil type?
Thanks.
Have found filter/gasket kit on Amazon.

(in reply to orange)
Post #: 28
RE: Thinking of changing the transmission fluid? - 15/7/2014 12:49:24   
chevydancer

Score: 39
Have a look in the resource section, HERE there's also several threads that answer the question if you search for transmission fluid.

Phil 'n' Sharon

1996 Astro - American Road Ultra

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 29
RE: Thinking of changing the transmission fluid? - 15/7/2014 15:11:23   
Banjo

Thanks chevydancer.

(in reply to chevydancer)
Post #: 30
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Discussion Forums] >> Van Maintenance Forums >> Drivetrain/Transmission >> RE: Thinking of changing the transmission fluid? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts