AstroSafari UK

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Chat  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: No goin back now...

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Discussion Forums] >> Van Maintenance Forums >> Drivetrain/Transmission >> RE: No goin back now... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: No goin back now... - 13/1/2011 18:47:58   
Safariglen

Score: 36
Thats looking really good

Glen

1996 Safari Rainbowstar

(in reply to Chevy Chase)
Post #: 101
RE: No goin back now... - 17/1/2011 12:45:19   
chevydancer

Score: 39
Nice job, Pat, looks really good.

Phil 'n' Sharon

1996 Astro - American Road Ultra

(in reply to Safariglen)
Post #: 102
RE: No goin back now... - 22/1/2011 17:47:09   
Chevy Chase

So the dash is finished now (pics 2moro..its too dark out ) ..all went well, finished it in matt black, heater in, vents in, ..got a new white / blue face for the gauges,..didnt like the fuzzy appearence of the outer warning lights so i cut this sections out of the standard black face...looks much better and i can actually read the warnings..

Thumbnail Image

Thumbnail Image

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by Chevy Chase -- 22/1/2011 17:59:51 >

HEY..i'm maybe dyslexic, but thats how dog made me............

(in reply to chevydancer)
Post #: 103
RE: No goin back now... - 24/1/2011 18:05:16   
Chevy Chase

Fitted the demister vents, tidied the wiring, and finally fitted the dash...stuck in the radio unit, vents and heater controls..i'll sort out the wiring of these later on...very happy with the result this time..just need to make some filler pieces for each end, as the granada dash is considerably narrower....

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chevy Chase -- 24/1/2011 18:07:16 >

Post #: 104
RE: No goin back now... - 24/1/2011 21:42:23   
hanljo3

Score: -4
hi .pat .  my radio is a little to small and kept coming out ,so i packed it with a pair of leather gloves ,and when i have to get my hands  dirty i know were the gloves  are . thats  a truly  great job you have  done  and i watched  and read  all your conversion. i could do with a peice of bolster wood  cut out a letter  box and paint it black . what do you think , do they still make bolster wood , it was around when i was a kid  but wouldn,t have a clue were to get it from.

Post #: 105
RE: No goin back now... - 25/1/2011 8:46:08   
Chevy Chase

Tanx Joe, bolster wood.....you dont mean balsa wood do you..???

I used some sign making stuff i had lyin around for my radio, its plastic with a thin layer of aluminium on each side..its dead easy to cut and shape, and its already painted white,,,i stuck carbon effect on mine to match the trim over the glove box....and theres plenty of room for a few switches if i need it..

< Message edited by Chevy Chase -- 25/1/2011 8:49:07 >

(in reply to hanljo3)
Post #: 106
RE: No goin back now... - 25/1/2011 11:13:46   
andyp

Score: 53
Looking very good Pat.

It's a conversion I really fancy but I just could not work out where my feet would go to be comfortable for more than a few miles.

The new dash has really turned it into a class job.

Post #: 107
RE: No goin back now... - 25/1/2011 11:55:07   
WOODY

Score: 37
I think Joe did mean BOLSTER wood, as he wants to hold things up with it

1995 Starcraft Brougham AWD

VENI VIDI VICI

(in reply to andyp)
Post #: 108
RE: No goin back now... - 26/1/2011 18:18:02   
Chevy Chase

Finished the dash today.......Managed to keep the cop holders AND the storage bin..well pleased...it'll probably fall to pieced the first time i drive it.......

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

(in reply to WOODY)
Post #: 109
RE: No goin back now... - 26/1/2011 19:59:23   
bigal

Score: 38
dash looks mint well done

if it ay bostid dow fix it

Post #: 110
RE: No goin back now... - 23/7/2011 15:00:15   
Chevy Chase

Its almost embarrasing at this stage...........the upshot is that i've managed to get a rack fitted....it drives great around the block..if i can get insurance sorted next week i'll take it for a longer drive...thats all i'm gonna say for the moment....

But the new steering box is up for grabs again.....

< Message edited by Chevy Chase -- 23/7/2011 15:02:52 >

(in reply to bigal)
Post #: 111
RE: No goin back now... - 29/11/2015 14:12:35   
Chevy Chase

Jebus...has it been that long...

I actually never got around to sorting the van out....the steering was not very smooth due to the multi uni joints between the column and the rack..so she was parked up outside the house from basically my last post here...in the mean time i was busy with my Merc Vito which as was my daily driver i put all my effort into that...Swopped out the oil burner engine for the VR6 VW unit fitted to the golfs/jetta's etc.....straight swop and goes like a train..converted to LPG too...
Also been busy building bikes for myself and others so poor Astro was ignored....till now......
Got her into the garden this week and stripped the steering off for Round 2.....btw i've never had a vehicle that starts so easily, even after months of neglect...i do start her every now and then...
I've moved things about a bit and managed to remove one uj completely which is wayyy smoother now...i hope to get her out tomorrow for a test and i'll report back then...

oh..nearly forgot...its very smokey when i started it up which never happened before....valve stem seale of what do you think gents..?????

< Message edited by Chevy Chase -- 29/11/2015 14:15:09 >

Post #: 112
RE: No goin back now... - 1/12/2015 12:33:28   
chevydancer

Score: 39
Nice to see you back, Pat.
Sorry can't help on the smoke front, mechanics is not m forte.

Phil 'n' Sharon

1996 Astro - American Road Ultra

Post #: 113
RE: No goin back now... - 1/12/2015 15:50:46   
Chevy Chase

Not a bother Phil...took her out for a spin this morning and it seems to have cleared..maybe it was just "stuff" in the exhaust....steering is spot on now....gonna strip it all back out and get it powdercoated....

(in reply to chevydancer)
Post #: 114
RE: No goin back now... - 2/12/2015 1:17:20   
bowtie262

Score: 53
I think the smoke on start-up after a long stand-up is probably seepage past the valve stem seals.
Nothing serious if it seems to have cleared now.

My old Astro88 suffered with this problem a few years ago, (when I first got her running).

I had changed the engine oil and filter, but not looked under the rocker covers.

I discovered a build up of old sticky oil had blocked drain holes in the cylinder head,
mainly at the rear of the engine, where the oil 'pools' due to the engine sloping slightly down at the back.

On mine the 'pooling' was so deep that it covered the lower end of the valve springs ( & valve stem seals).

After clearing out the sticky sludge and flushing fresh oil through the system, mine has been 88% better !!

Replacing my valve stem oil seals has since then been put in the tray for Ron,, Later-ron.

Post #: 115
RE: No goin back now... - 2/12/2015 17:07:17   
Chevy Chase

Cheers Bowtie...and soz about missing the poll..............

(in reply to bowtie262)
Post #: 116
RE: No goin back now... - 30/6/2017 18:37:54   
Chevy Chase

Just an update on this conversion for anyone who was following it...Since the last installment i took the van for a longer drive and noticed that i had to constantly correct the steering, it felt horrible, so i parked it up again and left it alone..As i said in another post the van got damaged while parked outside the house...i will need to get it to the local bodyshop for repairs to the front door , not at my expense thankfully...so i wanted to bring the van into the garden for a bit of a clean up...tree sap and bird poo covered the poor thing.......but when i went to start it...nothing....turns out the fuel pump had ceased to be, so a new one was ordered...came on monday, fitted it (a la hole in the rear floor..a la youtube..very handy)..bingo started first time, as usual....got her into the garden and gave her a good clean, took the whole of tuesday...worth it ,she looks mega...So i decided to have a think about the steering issue...long story short, the whole dash had to be ripped out....days of work destroyed in minutes...Turns out the angle of the colunm UJ was too much, so i took about altering the column angle down to decrease the angle...Easy enough, just fitted 25mm spacers at the front of the column support tilting it down to 30 degrees ( took a bit of googling to find that out) ....had to do a small adjustment on the brake pedal bar to clear the bottom of the support too...just needed to shorten the shaft to the rack and job done....one thing i did notice was the intermediate shaft top uj is worn, probably from the angle issue.. so i'm going to have to look for one of those
Took her for a spin and instantly felt completely different, no binding or notchiness, much lighter too....seems good ...i'll take her for a longer spin over the weekend....
Just need to work on a whole new dash again, going to keep it simplier this time tho...

Post #: 117
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Discussion Forums] >> Van Maintenance Forums >> Drivetrain/Transmission >> RE: No goin back now... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts