AstroSafari UK

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Chat  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: No goin back now...

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Discussion Forums] >> Van Maintenance Forums >> Drivetrain/Transmission >> RE: No goin back now... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: No goin back now... - 15/7/2008 23:01:43  1 votes
sdz208

Score: 36
Good Luck on the maiden voyage........Steve......

VANNIN SINCE 75....AND STILL ALIVE.........!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Chevy Chase)
Post #: 81
RE: No goin back now... - 17/7/2008 17:33:51   
Chevy Chase

"And the winner is............".....Bugle fanfare etc etc....

Took her around the block yesterday and sad to say i came back with this face on .....
Still binding at half turns , turned the steering back and forward till i was ...made no difference.....
Put the thinking cap on this morning and decided to cut all the brackets off the shaft box  and start over....
within a few moments of doing this with the box just resting on the fan cowl i noticed an improvement...
So after propping up the box in different places i finally got rid of the tight spot and proceeded to make new brackets ...
I was surprised at how small a difference in the angles at the uj's affected their performance ...i thought they would be more flexible ..now i know different....
So there you have it, took her out again and although it feels a little heavier,i'm putting this down to the poly bushes i used instead of bearings , it drives fine.
Cant wait to get her registered and on the road asap, possibly later next week....

The End....(or is it....SPOOKY LAUGH !!!!!)

Thumbnail Image

New steering box

Thumbnail Image

...and fitted..

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by Chevy Chase -- 17/7/2008 17:36:48 >

HEY..i'm maybe dyslexic, but thats how dog made me............

(in reply to sdz208)
Post #: 82
RE: No goin back now... - 17/7/2008 18:11:34   
majorlee

Score: 26
congratz mate - hope it was all worth it :)

http://www.myspace.com/majorleeblunt
http://www.facebook.com/majorleeblunt

Post #: 83
RE: No goin back now... - 17/7/2008 22:46:49   
Astroshepawd

Score: 16
Thank the lord........hate to say, but what did I say above!
Lovin that clean look CC, post up some more detailed pics of that set-up.
Have you still got self - centering?
Shep

(in reply to majorlee)
Post #: 84
RE: No goin back now... - 17/7/2008 22:56:12   
95Tintop

Score: 42
Nice one Chevy, but a few questions....
1..where is you air filter at nowdays
2..do you have to remove the steering to change the belt(s)
3..did you make that gear box

not nit picking, just wondered.......i must admit you had me worried for a while there.....Johnny

Post #: 85
RE: No goin back now... - 18/7/2008 13:51:11   
Chevy Chase

No Shep, didnt self center before and still doesnt, going to check the drags etc. when i get a minute...

Johnnnny..filter is located in the space where the a/c unit was..
The belt can be changed easier now as a result of taking away the airbox..

Yep, i made the box but had to get the mitre gears made....

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chevy Chase -- 18/7/2008 13:55:15 >

(in reply to 95Tintop)
Post #: 86
RE: No goin back now... - 18/7/2008 16:42:48   
Astroshepawd

Pat that pic is much more explanatory. Can see what you did with the filter now. I take it the curved cover circled (below) is just that?
Shep

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

Post #: 87
RE: No goin back now... - 18/7/2008 18:12:22   
Chevy Chase

No Shep, the circled bit is actually the steering where the new intermediate shaft meets the column, i've used the original boot and used some leftover intercooler hose (mazda rx7) which i had to cover the other bit to the rack....kinda tidies it all up a bit....
The filter is a 6" Blitz SUS jobby, just below ,again with some extra hosing....

(in reply to Astroshepawd)
Post #: 88
RE: No goin back now... - 18/7/2008 18:58:26   
95Tintop

Score: 42
Looking good Chevy, now youve got the boots on looks almost factory. Well done dude....Johnny

Post #: 89
RE: No goin back now... - 7/8/2008 0:30:40   
Astroshepawd

Whats the latest here then Pat, all good regd and 'OTR' or............
Shep

(in reply to 95Tintop)
Post #: 90
RE: No goin back now... - 20/11/2008 19:22:12   
Wow..last post August........SPOOKY LAUGH CONT....(thats "cont"...
So on we go...after messing around with the steering box angles and reading some problem posts on "that other" site i came to the conclusion that the box was shot so i duly set about getting a replacement in the US ..saw one on fleabay and did the "buy it now " bit .free postage within the usa..cool..in the meantime i'd bought new mirrors, shox and disc s (sorry..rotors.) for the front and got them all posted to a mate in california....
So when he had everything together he sent them all to me...hence the delay in posting on here...
Anywho, got the box fitted only a couple of weeks ago and immediately noticed a big difference, the notchiness had gone and the whole thing felt lighter..sorted..
Havent taken her further than around the block but seems fine now..looking forward to getting her out on the road for a proper test....
I'll let you know when the time comes..or maybe it'll be on Sky News.." A van went out of control in Dublin today and killed 20 Polish builders at a bus stop......."..its a joke....

Post #: 91
RE: No goin back now... - 21/1/2009 13:40:41   
hope i am not intruding guys ,it's jus that i am living in Canada,born in trinidad , so seeing a RHT drive GM is fantastic , qwould love to get you some of the stuff we got over here for your trucks if i could though..

Post #: 92
RE: No goin back now... - 4/4/2009 20:17:48   
Chevy Chase

...or is there a PART 2 of this saga...........

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 93
RE: No goin back now... - 5/4/2010 11:11:54   
Chevy Chase

Wow..has it been a year...

The van has sat outside almost untouched cept for driving around the block to rotate the tyres...fitted a spare wheel and cover and new s/s mirrors though......been working and working on my Consul project..hopefully that'll be sorted in the next few weeks..

I picked up a few racks in the mean time and thought about making a whole new dash (again)...

I'm not going to give up on her..(not like Andy d'Splitter...)......luckily i didnt sell the Vito yet so i still have transport...

< Message edited by Chevy Chase -- 5/4/2010 11:13:13 >

Post #: 94
RE: No goin back now... - 8/8/2010 17:31:04   
hanljo3

Score: -4
Now i have seen the lot on here .guy gets bored and moves the whole LHD to RHD.  and i can,t do an oil change .fix a dipstick.am on this site  4 -5 hours  a day .fantastic  keep it up folks.
joe

Post #: 95
RE: No goin back now... - 5/1/2011 21:02:23   
Chevy Chase

Well its almost a year (again) since my last post..

After getting the van re-registered ,which involved two trips to the local VRT Office (over here we get screwed big time for importing vehicles from you foreigners.......I discovered that there was still too much play in the steering and a tendency to wander, meaning constantly correcting the steering..which was a pain, but no worse than when it was LHD...
So on monday i got out and stripped the whole steering assembly off...
Deciding to fit an electric fan i removed all that shroud gubbins..this left almost enough room to jump in and walk around...
I had intended on fitting a proper steering rack but after many trips to the breakers it transpired that there probably isnt a rack out there thats going to be narrow enough to line up with the stock pivot points...
My current plan (which is almost done at this stage ) is to use the stock steering box, all the stock links, arms etc ,but build a subframe to accept the box ,but on the right (proper ) side of the bay...with the shroud gone theres heaps of room for this....
Got all the metal today, tomorrow i'll be cutting and welding....we'll see how it goes..

< Message edited by Chevy Chase -- 5/1/2011 21:04:04 >

(in reply to hanljo3)
Post #: 96
RE: No goin back now... - 5/1/2011 22:49:07   
Astroshepawd

Best of luck with it Pat. Keep us posted.
I'm sure the yanks are into R&P conversions on the vans.com site, although not sure what they are using. Trouble is though its bound to be all LHD donor stuff.

Shep

edit; Just had a look here http://astrosafarivans.org/bb2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1190&hilit=rack+and+pinion+steering
May give you an idea or 2 if you've not already seen it.

< Message edited by Astroshepawd -- 5/1/2011 23:31:01 >

Post #: 97
RE: No goin back now... - 6/1/2011 9:07:16   
Chevy Chase

Yeah, i followed that thread, but i was concerned that he was'nt keeping within the parameters of the steering/suspension geometry...The tie rods are too short because of the width of the rack which would cause a lot of bump steer..hence the reason on my current choice to keep the stock system....wonder how it worked out for him..

Post #: 98
RE: No goin back now... - 9/1/2011 12:27:47   
Chevy Chase

Job done...again,again...

Just need to get a h/p steering pipe made tomorrow and the coupling welded up....leccy fan is ordered..should be driving in a couple of days..i'll let you know the results...good or bad..

Then i'll start working on a complete new dash...the one i made is fine by all accounts, but you know me.......

Post #: 99
RE: No goin back now... - 13/1/2011 18:06:34   
Chevy Chase

Been working away on the dash all week...steering is just finished ,waiting for matey to come back from hols to Tig some parts for me...New dash (96 Granada Scorpio freebie) ..is working out better than expected AND looks a lot better than my first attempt....
The heater controls and roof vent fit perfectly into the radio /cd player slots..which was handy, so i've fitted the Kenwood unit i got on here (soz, cant remember who )into the Granny heater vents...
I'm using the kitcar heater again, but made some mods to it so i' can use the granny de-mister vents and the one i've put in the dash...and i'm using the fresh air flap thingy to stop the cold air coming through the heater if i need to....should have the dash complete but for paint tomorrow...

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Discussion Forums] >> Van Maintenance Forums >> Drivetrain/Transmission >> RE: No goin back now... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts