AstroSafari UK

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Chat  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: No goin back now...

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Discussion Forums] >> Van Maintenance Forums >> Drivetrain/Transmission >> RE: No goin back now... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: No goin back now... - 12/5/2008 19:45:18   
Chevy Chase

Score: 36
Progress report....

Bit of carpentry over the weekend while NORMAL  people were enjoying the sunshine...

Managed to keep a lot of the stock stuff with careful planning, should look good when its all covered in black vinyl with some silver bits here and there........

Thumbnail Image

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (2)

HEY..i'm maybe dyslexic, but thats how dog made me............

(in reply to Chevy Chase)
Post #: 41
RE: No goin back now... - 13/5/2008 6:59:11   
sundanceuk

Score: 38
Hey CC, are there no ends to your talents ?.

I have just noticed that your wipers will leave an unswept area in your line of site, are you going to resite the wipers or drive with your head tilted to the left when it rains, or be a real prima donna and not drive it in the rain.

It rains a lot in Ireland, Ive seen the pictures of Craggy Island !

Former owner of "Lone Star" 93 Astro Tintop.
Now Van Less, but still love the hobby and the people in it.

CLEVERLY DISGUISED AS A RESPONSIBLE ADULT

Post #: 42
RE: No goin back now... - 14/5/2008 21:35:55   
andyfanshawe

Score: 40
Nice one CC  Looking superb.  How close are you to completion?

Andy.

Low 1992 Astro - sold!
1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire project

Custom airride camaro
www.lowcamaro.com

(in reply to sundanceuk)
Post #: 43
RE: No goin back now... - 22/5/2008 8:08:44   
andyfanshawe

Have you finshed yet CC?

Andy.

Low 1992 Astro - sold!

Custom airride camaro
www.lowcamaro.com

(in reply to andyfanshawe)
Post #: 44
[Deleted] - 27/5/2008 17:10:48   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

Post #: 45
RE: No goin back now... - 30/5/2008 15:29:29   
Chevy Chase

"I'm back i'm back as a matter of fact ..as a matter of fact i'm back....hey..."

Right this is as far as i got before i had to start packing.....

All dash parts cut,welded,stuck ,bent,bonded,filled, nailed and screwed....just have to cover it in black vinyl and do a bit of silver highlighting on some of the plastic bits....

Thumbnail Image

Thumbnail Image

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (3)

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 46
RE: No goin back now... - 31/5/2008 23:27:49   
Chevy Chase

Started to  sort out the heating/vent stuff..its these little things that you dont think of that can cause the most headaches....think i'll go for a kitcar heater, nice and compact with two demister and two cab outlets, and sort out some cold vents using the stock dash vents you can see in the pix. All the vents are sorted out now, i used as much of the plastic pipe gubbins that were fitted to the vents but needed to re-mould some pieces to accept 1.25 inch plumbing pipe ,this then will fit  the flexible tubing back to the heater unit and cold air inlet..
I must collect all the stuff i wont use and post a pic. theres soooo much crap left over...
Suffice to say if anyone wants heater motors a/c stuff its all free ,but i'll need to get post costs so it may be too xpensive... 

Post #: 47
RE: No goin back now... - 1/6/2008 0:04:35   
andyfanshawe

Hi CC.
The little jobs eh?  Sweating the details as the yanks say.  Good luck with that.

I want to retain the AC and heater but wont be able to fit the box back in the engine compartment.  I am going to mount the AC evaporator and blower motor where I can then build a box around them.

Andy.  

Low 1992 Astro - sold!

Custom airride camaro
www.lowcamaro.com

Post #: 48
RE: No goin back now... - 1/6/2008 0:49:24   
Astroshepawd

Score: 16
Er hhhhhem..........CC can I quote from page 1:

"Couple of awkward questions for ya."
  1. Where does the heater go?  We dont need no stinkin heater...

Post #: 49
RE: No goin back now... - 1/6/2008 10:00:33   
Chevy Chase

..hmmmmm..it was a joke....not a Blazing Saddles fan then Steve..?

(in reply to Astroshepawd)
Post #: 50
RE: No goin back now... - 4/6/2008 19:20:28   
Chevy Chase

Right ,what a fkn waste of a few days......Pulled all the dash apart (again) to position all the vents i was using and plan out the routes for the pipework while i was deciding on the kitcar heater (£140+vat + post + euro exchange =273 euro..,lot of money for a heater)..so made up demisters etc. everything in position, decided to get the heater BUT just on the off chance my buddy in my local bits n pieces emporium might have one (verrrrry long shot) i thought i'd give him a call.....happy days ,he had one that he got for someone but never called back for 6 mths earlier...gave it me for 200 euro cash...yippee...
So out this morning in the pisin rain again found a position in the space where the steering rack once occupied,luvely jubbely....problem.too close to the demister..drat..cup of coffee ,bikkie and a think...mmmm...have to make new demisters...2 hrs later ,happy again ....Dash back in....mmmm...not overly happy with demisters again...may not be enough spread to clear screen on those really frosty mornings...cup of tea ,me thinks...
Back out ,staring match with the dash for about 15mins...dash out...start again....
Final position...heater now mounted in the center of the screen under the raised section (in previous pix) couple of vents to cut in the top ,luckily i made this section wide enough that the screen will get the full blast from the fan...
Might also put a vent or two in the front part of the section , but i'll see if its worth the trouble..
Phew.....what a day....

On a possi note, got a message from me bud in USA to say that my wheel adapters i ordered were on the way, so i can get the Merc wheels on....

< Message edited by Chevy Chase -- 4/6/2008 19:24:53 >

Post #: 51
RE: No goin back now... - 5/6/2008 20:38:16   
andyfanshawe

Patience of a saint!!!  Well done cc.  Did you get any final photos of the behind dash bits?
What steering bits did you use?
Andy.

< Message edited by andyfanshawe -- 5/6/2008 20:39:34 >

Low 1992 Astro - sold!

Custom airride camaro
www.lowcamaro.com

Post #: 52
RE: No goin back now... - 5/6/2008 22:40:35   
Chevy Chase

quote:

ORIGINAL: andyfanshawe

Patience of a saint!!!  Well done cc.  Did you get any final photos of the behind dash bits?
What steering bits did you use?
Andy.

Did you want me to take some pix of something for you Andy...not sure what you need....
Steering wise i'm using an extra coupler shaft that Steve (Sheep lover) gave me and i have to get some shaft made up .....
Just started covering the dash tonight after making yet more adjustments, pretty happy with the result now..will get some pix up tomorrow...
How things going your end....?

Post #: 53
RE: No goin back now... - 5/6/2008 23:10:50   
95Tintop

Score: 42
quote:

Steve (Sheep lover)

who is this...? love to know........John

Post #: 54
RE: No goin back now... - 5/6/2008 23:29:01   
VACANO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chevy Chase

"I'm back i'm back as a matter of fact ..as a matter of fact i'm back....hey..."

Right this is as far as i got before i had to start packing.....

All dash parts cut,welded,stuck ,bent,bonded,filled, nailed and screwed....just have to cover it in black vinyl and do a bit of silver highlighting on some of the plastic bits....

Thumbnail Image

Thumbnail Image

Thumbnail Image

all this rework make my little mod's look silly.

Post #: 55
RE: No goin back now... - 7/6/2008 5:50:02   
sundanceuk

Score: 38
Hey VACANO I agree with what your saying about all the work CC is doing but large or small every modification is a expression of individualism, so don't put yourself down matey.
And remember Big things start small (well thats what the wife says in between histerical fits of laughter)

Former owner of "Lone Star" 93 Astro Tintop.
Now Van Less, but still love the hobby and the people in it.

CLEVERLY DISGUISED AS A RESPONSIBLE ADULT

(in reply to VACANO)
Post #: 56
RE: No goin back now... - 10/6/2008 20:11:15   
Chevy Chase

Up-date # ?????,,,  i've lost count........

Trimmed the dash with the vinyl...some bits (mainly the flat ones) worked out better than others, the clock surround took two goes, a real pain as i used foam flooring underlay to smooth out the little imperfections ,but the glue doesnt give you a chance to move anything ,so it stuck like shit to an army blanket ,and ruined the first attempt...second was better but not 100% happy ...might have a go another day but it'll do for now..
Started the van up over the weekend to make sure all was well......started second turn..great, humms away nicely ,put a 6" Blitz cone filter on which i had lying around...sounds nice but will wait to see how noisy it is at motorway speeds (thats 40 over here )..
While i was putting all the fan cowling back on i realised that the new steering linkages would foul on the cover......
So ,had to re-plan shaft  routes AGAIN .....
As it turns out, it will be a much neater job ,mostly hidden by the filter/cowling etc.
Still waiting for matey to make up the shaft extensions i need...mates ..kuhhh
So today, final fix on the steering wheel/shaft , dash innards,wiring..and had an idea of using the old hot/cold intake flap (mounted in "your" pass. footwell ) to feed cold air to the heater,so i wont need the fan on all the time , plus i managed to rig up the control vacuum switch on the original cluster to operate the flap..cool...

Wont be long now...

How YOU doin Andy.......?

(in reply to sundanceuk)
Post #: 57
RE: No goin back now... - 10/6/2008 22:31:01   
andyfanshawe

Phew!!!!!  That's a lot of work.  May even be more than mine.  Nice job.  Can we have a photo of the finished product please?
How did you sort out the steering?  Did you use a different steering box?

Trying to find useful time to do anything is my major problem.  This type of fabrication that we are doing is majorly labour intensive.  My job gets in the way of my hobby/obsession

I've got to see your van someday.

Pop over to my thread for an update.  All going well.  Thought I'd got to the end of the drivers side wheel arch, then I realised I had to make some stiffening brackets where the battery used to be, weld in proper captive nuts where the new front sheetmetal was bolted in, and do some serious painting.

Good luck with the last phase.
Andy. 

Low 1992 Astro - sold!

Custom airride camaro
www.lowcamaro.com

Post #: 58
RE: No goin back now... - 10/6/2008 22:42:28   
Chevy Chase

Its a pain when you're just making it up as you go along, two steps forward etc....its the only way to learn, then you can help others (if theyre brave or stupid ) not to make the same mistakes...........sure isnt it great fun altogether....

Post #: 59
RE: No goin back now... - 14/6/2008 16:51:49   
Chevy Chase

Just there now.......sprayed everything black and broke it up a bit with the silver vents.....pi**er of a job fitting the head unit as there was nothing there before , but all good in the end , its a cd/dvd/radio/tv/microwave/toaster.....unit, happily all the speakers were connected..which was nice..
Connected the pass. door popper to the redundant rear wash/wipe switch ,which is nicely shielded from prying eyes  by the clock surround.
Fitted my new kph white dials too, and did the face surround silver ,i thought the black was a bit harsh with the white...
Just a small bit of tidying up around the dash ends ,but i cant get at the drivers footwell area until i can move the van away from a raised bed.
Hopefully get my steering sorted this week and get her moving...

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Discussion Forums] >> Van Maintenance Forums >> Drivetrain/Transmission >> RE: No goin back now... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts