No goin back now... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Discussion Forums] >> Van Maintenance Forums >> Drivetrain/Transmission

Chevy Chase -> No goin back now... (19/4/2008 20:43:29)

Well i've had a busy couple of days, firstly stripping the A/C out, leading to the heater motor unit etc. being extracted, then while i had the tools out i took the complete dash out..i was bored...[;)]...so i continued on to see what was involved in the RHD conversion..its crazy how much space there is when you take away all the above , So now i have a good idea of what lays ahead regarding the column, brake and throttle arrangements, just have to visit the local engineers on monday and relieve them of some nice metaly bits...
Some pix below..
WARNING..SOME VIEWERS MAY FIND THESE IMAGES OFFENSIVE,,,,[:'(]

wideboybob -> RE: No goin back now... (19/4/2008 21:04:20)

hellfire! you gotta have balls to tackle something like a rhd conversion .hope we have a step by step guide with pics as time goes on on the forum ...............if it does not work out at least we will know what the bits look like off the van!.best of luck..bob.[8|]

Chevy Chase -> RE: No goin back now... (19/4/2008 23:53:15)

Thanx mate..not bad for a GIRLY ehh??? [;)]

sundanceuk -> RE: No goin back now... (20/4/2008 6:05:56)

Why convert to Right Hand Drive ?, Is it a GIRLY thing [:D].

You gotta a lot of bottle to tackle this job CC, I notice in one of the shots that the big hammer was prominent! the sign of a true MECHANICAL SYMPATHISER (isnt that an electronic organ? ideal for girlies then[&:])

Chevy Chase -> RE: No goin back now... (20/4/2008 10:02:24)

Yes its a rubber one..like my most of my underware...[:)]

sundanceuk -> RE: No goin back now... (20/4/2008 13:39:50)

OO ER Missus!

If you are serious about right hand drive then have a look at the steering box from a Chevrolet Blazer, you know the one the sold in the UK for a while till they turned to Korean Krap with a badge, I'm sure the steering box will adapt and may even provide some other useful steering parts, Much better than a STURMY ARCHER chain drive steering.

As for the rubber undies try www.honour.co.uk    Don't Ask ?

Astroshepawd -> RE: No goin back now... (20/4/2008 15:03:06)

CC, yes I to find it hard to see why you should want to undertake such a huge task , converting to the right.
But I shall not spoil your party, just wish you good luck with it. Keep us posted of progress.
Shep
Dat man got balls!

Chevy Chase -> RE: No goin back now... (20/4/2008 15:43:25)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sundanceuk

OO ER Missus!

If you are serious about right hand drive then have a look at the steering box from a Chevrolet Blazer, you know the one the sold in the UK for a while till they turned to Korean Krap with a badge, I'm sure the steering box will adapt and may even provide some other useful steering parts,

I bow to your superior knowledge,  why do you suggest this box over the one i have, i dont know enough about yank cars ..so any suggestions greatly appreciated..

Just found out what you mean Stuart, a rhd Blazer, just need to find one in a breakers now.....[&:]...over here impossible..[:@]

Chevy Chase -> RE: No goin back now... (22/4/2008 21:03:08)

Today in the"big balls brothers 'ouse"....after doin the 'oovering 'n oirnin....stop now...[&:]
Anywho..Long day...fitted new crossmember/dash/steering column support...made new bracket for the extended brake pedal shaft and routed the gear selector and accelerator cables over to the right,no problems with lengths..its like the were designed to be on the PROPER side of the van.[;)]....
Tomorrow will make the throttle pedal bracket and get the brake shaft turned out...
Despite peoples comments, there seems enough room for the pedals still, but only one foot, no probs there , just tuck the other one round the back of the head [;)]
I'll get some pix up  ,when it looks a bit better..

BTW ..REALLY need that intermediate shaft folks, its going to hold me up big stylee...[8D]

Astroshepawd -> RE: No goin back now... (22/4/2008 21:49:24)

Is this to be a new Olympic event? Astro conversion racing!
Things are moving so fast here I can't keep up, now remind me what was wrong with the A/C. [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Keep it up CC, this is very refreshing.
Shep

andyfanshawe -> RE: No goin back now... (23/4/2008 21:10:51)

We want pictures[:D][:D]

Andy.

PS  What do you do as a job?  I may be following you down this road!  Not the RHD conversion, but the total stripdown and reworking of the inner wheel arches.

Chevy Chase -> RE: No goin back now... (23/4/2008 21:22:21)

I'm a gynocoligist (spelling?) , i'm doing all the interior work through the passenger side window..[:D]

Nah, i'm a chippy/sparks/water mechanic...take your pick...this is going to be my daily, so for convenience ,with the pass. slide door on the proper side it will be easier for getting stuff in and out..thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it..[;)]
Plus it will be different in this world of samey..it should be enough that this is probably the only Astro in Ireland (south) anyway,,

sundanceuk -> RE: No goin back now... (23/4/2008 23:07:02)

Water Mechanic ?, Wots That, A Plumber  !, over here all you need to know to be a plumber is "$hit runs downhill and pay day is Thursday"..

sundanceuk -> RE: No goin back now... (23/4/2008 23:11:06)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chevy Chase

Plus it will be different in this world of samey..it should be enough that this is probably the only Astro in Ireland (south) anyway,,

Err Don't look Now but CHUCKY has joined and is listed as IRELAND, Is this the start of an IRISH chapter?

Chevy Chase -> RE: No goin back now... (24/4/2008 8:39:54)

DAMN IT...[:@]

Chevy astro for sale, no hand drive at moment...[:D][:D]

Come on Cormac, where ya hiding...[;)]

Chevy Chase -> RE: No goin back now... (24/4/2008 11:49:43)

Right you lot, heres some pix of work done so far........

[image]local://203/7751364A744242A2989B1D3B70832594.JPG[/image]

[image]local://203/15FE7E7718D241D0B6FB026D46F66F1C.JPG[/image]

[image]local://203/91DA5EE695794E46BA38079CEBE060D3.JPG[/image]

andyfanshawe -> RE: No goin back now... (24/4/2008 14:21:49)

What do they say on pimp my ride?  Now that's what i'm talking about!

Superb work[:D]

Couple of awkward questions for ya.....
  1. Where does the heater go?
  2. Are the insurance company going to find out?!!
  3. Does the engine cover still fit?
  4. How are you still married?!!
  5. Bet you don't have any kids!!!!?
  6. Is that rear bumper finished yet?

Andy.

Pheasant Plucker -> RE: No goin back now... (24/4/2008 15:47:30)

AND!!!! How the hell are you going to operate the left window button from the right seat??????
Picky, picky, picky!!

Chevy Chase -> RE: No goin back now... (24/4/2008 18:13:00)

quote:

ORIGINAL: andyfanshawe

What do they say on pimp my ride?  Now that's what i'm talking about!

Superb work[:D]

Couple of awkward questions for ya.....
  1. Where does the heater go? [:D] We dont need no stinkin heater...[:'(]

2. Are the insurance company going to find out?!! possalutely, it will be cheaper cause it'll be RHD..

3. Does the engine cover still fit? ..see first answer..[;)]
  4. How are you still married?!! cause i got a huge wotsname..[:)]

5. Bet you don't have any kids!!!!? too selfish..[:'(]

6. Is that rear bumper finished yet? its not even started.[&:]

Andy.

The window problem is sorted..always carry a golf club with me ....[8|]

Chevy Chase -> RE: No goin back now... (24/4/2008 18:20:32)

While i was at it today ,cleaning the engine bay i noticed after spraying how nice and clean it looked....so , i went about pulling out the whole wiring loom and am routing it within the cab, worked out really well so far, all the fuse / relay gubbins will now be located in the pass. foot well with the bare minimum of cables seen in the bay....your comments on a postcard to .....[:D]

[image]local://203/9096E6ADCD1642AF85F48994F16E949D.JPG[/image]

[image]local://203/3178A8C60B7F41CF9028EA85F8F50354.JPG[/image]

[image]local://203/8FA2244388604BE0BC4B41534B6E5311.JPG[/image]

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>